In 1903 the director
of the astronomical observatory in Munich, H. von Seeliger,
decided to attach a seismological station to the geomagnetic
observatory in Munich.
After the erection of a special house earthquakes were observed in Munich with a Wiechert seismograph from 1905 until 1943. In 1943 the observations were stopped and with them the whole seismological service in Bavaria.
At the geophysical observatory in Fürstenfeldbruck a new seismological station was erected by Prof. O. Foertsch in 1959 and the regular registrations were continued. A major extension of the seismological service for Bavaria was achieved through the installation of substations.
Today earthquakes are recorded in Bavaria by a network of 22 stations and 2 additional stations in Austria (http://www.erdbeben-in-bayern.de).